What is the Sport Premium?
This is a Government initiative to provide funding of £150 million for 3 years to provide new, substantial primary school sport funding. The funding is jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary school headteachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children. The funding can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools.
How can the funding be spent?
Schools will have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this. Possible uses for the funding include:
- Funding professional development opportunities in PE e.g. subject leader training
- Increasing participation in competitive sports competitions
- Providing cover to release teachers to work alongside leading PE teachers
- Promoting “non-traditional” sports e.g. dodgeball
- Providing places for pupils at breakfast and after school clubs which may be run by outside sports providers
Following an audit of our school PE provision, the following has been implemented: